Thread: Shutdown error message

Shutdown error message

When I shut down my XP system I get a "end program now" error box. I'm not at all versed in computers. How can I get the system to shut down normally? Thanks.

Which program is it that needs to be ended? You may be able to correct the problem just by uninstalling and then reinstalling the program that has the trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker
    Which program is it that needs to be ended? You may be able to correct the problem just by uninstalling and then reinstalling the program that has the trouble.
    The message has "Outlook Express FolderSync Window Class." How would I fix this? Thanks for your help.

1] Are you running XP SP1?

2] Have you tried using System Restore to restore you computer to a time before it started having the problem?

I think that I'm running SP1. I haven't tried System Restore, but the problem has been there since long before Christmas. Can I go back that far without losing things I've added? I'll do whatever works. It's just that I can't remember exactly when the problem began. Thanks.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Hi auntyb

Did you install any programs that retrive all your email clients ? or something call Folder Sync/Folder Match ? if so then you should remove them in Add & Remove, or reinstall the program then uninstall it.

If you didn't have any programs like Folder Sync or Folder Match then you can try this...

Make sure you delete all mail in Outlook Express (work off line) now close OE, go to Start> Search> and type in "folders.dbx" with out the quotes. When you find this file right click and choose "rename" rename the file folders.old exit and restart OE and click the Send & Receive button.

Report back...

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    Also here is a really good Outlook Express support site you can use. They seem to have lots of good info.

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/

Quote Originally Posted by rik
    Also here is a really good Outlook Express support site you can use. They seem to have lots of good info.

http://insideoe.tomsterdam.com/
    And here's another one http://www.kbalertz.com/allKbs.aspx?tec=154

I thought about the questions and remembered that I'd installed VCatch before the problem began. I've uninstalled it and the shutdown problem seems to have disappeared. I'm going to reinstall it tonight and see if I can run it without any more glitches. I'll report back. Thank you all so much for helping this computer-hazy old lady with the problem. I envy all of you your knowledge, and I appreciate your willingness to assist others.

Quote Originally Posted by auntyb
    I envy all of you your knowledge, and I appreciate your willingness to assist others.
    Don't envy me too much, most of the time my knowledge goes as far as Google search takes me most of the people here are real smart though and we all like to help

Good to see you worked it out...now why are you using VCatch ? don't you have a regular Anti-Virus program ?

As a matter of fact, I do. I had to uninstall VCatch again. It seems to have been the problem. Thanks to all of you. I'm sure that I'll be back. I have endless "little" questions and no one to give me answers!