Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP "Cannot Delete AVI Files" FIX!

Question

Hi,

I have deleted files using the cmd prompt before, but it was so long ago I've forgotten something. It's about opening up directories (or specifying files, either way) whose first 6 characters include a space.

For instance, I know how to open a directory called 'Windows'; I just type:

cd Windows

and it opens, because DOS 8.3 file naming only looks for the first 6 characters, after which you type ~1 and it 'guesses' the rest.

Equally, if I type:

cd Window~1
    it opens too. This means I can open a file/folder with a long name, just by typing the first 6 characters, followed by "~1".

But if I have a directory called 'Other Windows', I can't do this so easily:

cd Other
    doesn't work, because the directory is called 'Other Windows'
    and
    cd Other ~1 doesn't work either, because the space I put in messes it up: "Too many parameters - ~1";
    nor does
    cd Other_~1 work, because the name doesn't include an underscore.

So how do I open it? Basically, how do I get windows command prompt (/dos shell) to recognise files/folders whose names contain a space in the first 6 characters? I know you can do it, and this must be an obvious question for anyone who's used DOS, but I have really forgotten how to do it.

Hope you can help,

Colin

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    isn't the space designated as "%20" without the quotes?

I'm not sure if that will work. If not, you could try renaming the directories?

Thank you for the fix to the deleting avi files problem. Much appreciated. Paolo

Problem is that Windows XP Explorer relating to avi files keeps closing or can not edit or remove an avi file.

This is because Windows XP expects to read a XP standard-supported codec avi file to produce a preview image at the left side of your screen. Even if you try to apply settings.
    When the avi file is not a XP standard-supported codec (Divx) or the avi file does not have an index or is corrupt, XP prepares to read the whole file. Then you can get the error that explorer encountered a problem and needs to close or can not edit or remove the file.
    Solution: remove the preview function which is called shmedia.dll You can do this in the registry but the best way is to use the command prompt as follows.
    Go to start, use the "run" button and type cmd, now you are at the command prompt.
    Next you type: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    Problem should be solved now after reboot.

If you want to reload the preview function go to the command prompt as above and type: regsvr32 shmedia.dll

Yvo
    Last edited by mcp; August 20th, 2004 at 17:15 PM.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    nice explaination and welcome to the board.

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp
    Solution: remove the preview function which is called shmedia.dll You can do this in the registry but the best way is to use the command prompt as follows.
    Go to start, use the "run" button and type cmd, now you are at the command prompt.
    Next you type: regsvr32 /u shmedia.dll
    Problem should be solved now after reboot.
    The reg fix Boogs attached does exactly the same thing.It prevents shmedia.dll from loading.

So there is no "best" way. Its basically down to the individuals choice.

But thanks for posting a possible alternative.
    Last edited by Reverend; August 18th, 2004 at 19:41 PM.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

It is true that the method of solution is a matter of choice for the individual.

With best way solution I meant that using the command prompt method you: (1) Do not need to have an internet connection to download the fix file.
    (2) If one uses the registry key removal method on a longtime-running pc, that pc's registry is likely to have been flooded over time with keys (in the appropriate classes submaps) to confuse or scare off people who don't like to "mess" in the registry.

Hope to be of help again in the future. Hoorah for your forum :-)

Yvo

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by mcp
    It is true that the method of solution is a matter of choice for the individual.

With best way solution I meant that using the command prompt method you: (1) Do not need to have an internet connection to download the fix file.
    (2) If one uses the registry key removal method on a longtime-running pc, that pc's registry is likely to have been flooded over time with keys (in the appropriate classes submaps) to confuse or scare off people who don't like to "mess" in the registry.

Hope to be of help again in the future. Hoorah for your forum :-)

Yvo
    OK,fair point.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Do not need to have an internet connection to download the fix file.

But wouldn't you need an internet connection to find the command line fix on the internet?

If you are looking for a way to correct the avi problem all by yourself without help, yes, you need internet. If a friend, relative or somebody else tips you on the solution I mentioned, no.

Yvo

i did delete the reg key and i unregistered the dll but i still can't delete files, not just .avi but .mp3, .ogg also(just remembered this,i'll try others now).

maybe any other idea?

looking with proccess explorer i have a lot of open handles on these files right after i start explorer and enter the folder to delete/move them.being a bit quicker than the PC i manage to close handles and delete the files but i also broke a keyboard over this.

How about going to safe-mode with command prompt (Press F8 when you boot your pc) and use the console to delete the avi's? It worked perfectly here.
    Get Quintessential player, the alternative to winamp! ( www.quinnware.com )

sure i can do that, i can also do it from recovery console or ntfs explorer or... but i don't want to restart my PC everytime i have to delete a MM file.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    in the options did you turn off the preview.

i found the cause (or so it seems) for MY problem.A RAM module went ga-ga(so did my windows).
    sorry for bothering you guys with something you already solved.
    gonna stay on this forum, try to help others(and myself), thanks.