Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Windows XP "Cannot Delete AVI Files" FIX!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Booger
    Nice work Cash Daddy.
    Thanks BB.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks a lot
    found your wonderful forum by doing a google to fix this prob...works great

hung

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    Glad to have helped hungover. Welcome to TZ!

AVI problem

This is my first post here and it`s to thank you very much, as I had the same problem with movie files......was driving me absolutely nuts,but thanks to you....all gone

Marianne

yeah it really is an annoying bug in XP.. Glad it helped.

I am experiencing sort of the same problem but with all files with the .MP3 extension. (unable to delate, copy cut, rename etc. - unless I change the extension to something other than .MP3) If I attempt any of these, I get the error message " Windows explorer has encountered a problem and needs to close". Then as I choose to report the problem or not, my explorer windows will collapse and my folder settings will also change.

Do you think that the problem that you discuss about avi files may be the same sort of problem that I am having with MP3 files?

I downloaded and installed the trial version of "Universal Explorer" thinking it may work where Windows explorer would not. As I attempt to manipulate a MP3 file I get an error window that makes reference to "Kernel32.dll". Could this be a problem as like the one I read about the shmedia.dll file?

Strangely enough, I can still burn cd's using Roxio and I am able to drag and drop the files. I just can't cut, copy, rename etc.

Thanks in advance for any and all assistance.....fsumcdad

You GuyZ lzoxolz

Dude, you guys absolutely lz0x0lz....

thank-you for passing on the xp/reg info to the world. I found your forums by googling my problem and you guys were #1 on the list... For months and months... every since I started using XP at work (cough and downloading .avi on our servers cough)... I've been trying to figure out wtf is causing XP to tell me "access denied"... EVEN AFTER closing nearly EVERYTHING on taskmanager...

I am a Unix, Linux, BeOS "power"~user... p.s. XP TOO MANY PROBLEMS (cough microsoft sux cough)...

Thanx for the post, and the insightful comments (well most of them were helpful anyway)... still dont understand how you can "change the file ext. and delete the .avi" if "ACCESS IS DENIED" or can't really see how "XP's DOS would let you delete it", since xp uses "fake" DOS, a program that XP emulates to look like "real" DOS v6.x, but still runs on the win2k kernal. However I didn't actually try those steps, myself, so im not calling anyone a liar I just edited regedit.exe and it worked file for me, once you guys told me what the problem was anywayz...

~~software developer / web designer~~
    @@@
    www.SCnetSOLUTIONS.net/
    ~~ and No, I dont care if they find out, im too valuable to fire o_O ~~

OK OK OK LAST POST

PLZ Read~~

I tried deleting those problematic .avi files in CMD and it worked... dont see why CMD would let your del what XP would not... they do run on the same kernal correct?

However... renaming the .avi to .mpg or .vob or something other than .avi DOES NOT work... if you can't delete it, can't move it, can't copy it....... then you can't rename the file either "ACCESS DENIED"

LAST QUESTION~~~
    Anyone knows what makes some .avi / DivX / XviD have this problem with deleting while others DO NOT have his problem? I usually download about 5 - 500 .avi / DivX / XviD files per day and only 1 out of about 200 have this problem... any INSIGHT? c-ya...

I think it has to do with windows explorer holding the files and thus causing them not to be able to delete. When using the "cmd" approach, you no longer have windows explorer running directly on the files you want to delete.

As for the types of AVI files that become undeletable, I haven't the foggiest idea.

Cheers

Nice one boys, that worked a treat! Found this forum through a google search. Very handy!

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    welcome wellurs. stick around got a few more of those tips around here

I too found this site through google and crossed my fingers but it didnt solve my problem. i had 2 profiles on my pc (windows xp) (1 was little bros) i would select hidden for my whole profile under "documents and settings" so my brother wouldnt erase or mess with my music files and options. he screwed something else up and i had to reload/install windows (not repair). i had to redo all my prefs but i cant get into my old profile to get the songs. even as an admin. it says the folder is not accessible/access is denied. i can get into properties but it wont let me apply the changes. i see it as hidden but it wont let me in.

please help, i cant download all the music again (RIAA)

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=810881

Sent that to you via pm, but for the benefit of anyone else with Weikingdom's problem have a look at the link above.

Unhappy thanks anyways

Thanks anyways Booger, that didn't solve it i thought that would do it too. i found it in help and support for xp but no matter what i did it still said access denied. i lost it all and so it didnt just took up space i reformated my c drive. oh well.

I was gonna suggest converting the drive from NTFS to FAT32.. and then try to access the files.. should be easier without the security of NTFS.