I have SP1 now by the way.

My system is working, but with constant quirks, 5 or 6 a day day after day as I use it. I usually can work around the quirks and get what I want done, but they are getting annoying. So I think "just do a repair or wipe the HD (C drive) out, f-disk and reformat and start all over again."

There is stuff I need to know and am learning from www.michaelstevenstech.com. But he doesn't tell me the basic basics so could someone answer the following for me, please?

When I put my XP CD into my CDROM I get 4 options:

Install XP
Install optional components
Perform additional tasks
Check system compatibility

The only one that seems even a bit relevant is the first. But I don't want to install XP. It's installed and running (if not too well). If I select "Install XP" I get to choose an upgrade (recommended) or a New Installation (advanced.) But I don't want to upgrade (from an earlier Windows O/S) and I question the appropriateness of installing XP over itself.

1. I read that trying "Repair" is what one would try first before f-disking and reformatting but how do I get to do that?

2. Also do I have it right that f-disk is what wipes out or makes unreadable everything and format partitions the drive or arranges for just 1 big drive without partition.

I hope you can answer my questions and also refer me to a site that answers the basic basics.