Thread: Running a Repair and/or booting from the XP CD that came with my XP.

Running a Repair and/or booting from the XP CD that came with my XP.

I have SP1 now by the way.

My system is working, but with constant quirks, 5 or 6 a day day after day as I use it. I usually can work around the quirks and get what I want done, but they are getting annoying. So I think "just do a repair or wipe the HD (C drive) out, f-disk and reformat and start all over again."

There is stuff I need to know and am learning from www.michaelstevenstech.com. But he doesn't tell me the basic basics so could someone answer the following for me, please?

When I put my XP CD into my CDROM I get 4 options:

Install XP
    Install optional components
    Perform additional tasks
    Check system compatibility

The only one that seems even a bit relevant is the first. But I don't want to install XP. It's installed and running (if not too well). If I select "Install XP" I get to choose an upgrade (recommended) or a New Installation (advanced.) But I don't want to upgrade (from an earlier Windows O/S) and I question the appropriateness of installing XP over itself.

1. I read that trying "Repair" is what one would try first before f-disking and reformatting but how do I get to do that?

2. Also do I have it right that f-disk is what wipes out or makes unreadable everything and format partitions the drive or arranges for just 1 big drive without partition.

I hope you can answer my questions and also refer me to a site that answers the basic basics.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Titanium Member
    To run repair go into bios (hit delete key several times while rebooting - until you get to bios) and make CD rom 1st boot device. Save and let it restart and click any key to boot off CD, when it asks you. After inspecting files, it will ask you to repair or install. Hit enter to install. It will again ask you if you want to repair - hit R for repair. Then just follow instructions.
    Last edited by lynchknot; February 5th, 2004 at 19:58 PM.

TheElderGeek.com When the time comes to reformat your hard drive, and it will, FDISK may become one of the tools you'll need. FDISK isn't as popular as it was a few years ago, especially with the popularity of NTFS file systems, but FDISK is still a clean, simple and quite functional tool for many formatting and partitioning situations. Detailed instructions on FDISK... http://support.microsoft.com/support.../Q255/8/67.ASP
    If you want to perform a repair have a look it... http://www.microsoft.com/WindowsXP/e...nox/doug92.asp

Hope that helps,
    Coffee.
    Live long and prosper!

o0ps sorry lynchknot, your post wasn't there a moment ago :-S
    Live long and prosper!

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by wumply
    When I put my XP CD into my CDROM I get 4 options:

Install XP
    Install optional components
    Perform additional tasks
    Check system compatibility
    To run a repair you have to "Boot" from the XP CD and not run the CD via Windows,which is what you are currently doing.

As lynchknot explained,you first have to set the CDROM as First Boot Device.
    Restart your machine and hold down the Del key until you enter the BIOS Setup screen.Select Advanced BIOS Features and use the arrow keys to highlight First Boot Device.

Use the Page Up/Page Down keys to change the device to CDROM.Press Escape and then select the "Save and Exit" option.Type Y to save.

Your machine will now reboot so put your XP CD in the drive.And during the Power-On Self Test (POST) when you see the Boot from CD message at the bottom press any key.

Then follow the instructions in the link posted by Coffee.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Titanium Member
    opps, I left out "press F8" agreement and some other stuff
    Last edited by lynchknot; February 5th, 2004 at 20:10 PM.