Thread: Dsl

Dsl

Looking at (finally) jumping on the old R/ADSL bandwagon and would like any relevant advice....
    Had a look for different broadband reviews and thought for monthly outgoings £20 pm - 'eclipse' looked like a good deal?!?! ..... however I see some people have been having trouble using win98 and DSL, which is also my os...

thoughts, comments, suggestions....always welcome

dt1

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    A couple of UK sites that offer good ADSL advise and reviews are:

ADSLGuide & World of ADSL

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Cheers Rev - think eclipse is the way forward for me!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    I think the major problem with win98 and DSL is that I think it doesnt have native support, you need an ISP installation cd... however, this would be overcome if you had a dsl router, then you simply configure your win98 machine to use DHCP TCP/IP and there you go Bigger problems when you want to connect dsl modem directly to win98 PC. need some sort of PPPoE driver program etc

Goodluck getting DSL, prolly first step is to make sure you phoneline is DSL capable and there are spare ports at the exchange. So call Telco first, then organise isp

Cheers, you lucky person, Im still stuck on 28kbps modem dialup

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Thanks for that info cash_site... I had a post on last year about upgrading my machine...but I've been squeezing out 866mhz on my duron spitfire which does me fine....however - I think an upgrade to my machine is inevitable! WinXP, new mobo, cpu, soundcard and ram! Concerning DSL, it might ease my troubles later on down the track!!

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    No probs Dt1, ahh another Duron User... I've got an 800Duron, that works just fine for me even with certain games - granted at lower details, but you can never take the image of shooting down something

Anyway, a nice new computer would do you fine and you would surely have no probs with anything let alone DSL. Make sure you stay in touch with TZ for all your technical needs.
    Cheers.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

I know I'm a few months late here, but here's a good site for DSL information:

http://www.dslreports.com/

Hedda Lora