Thread: Wiping out my HD and starting over in XP

Wiping out my HD and starting over in XP

Can someone tell me or refer me to a site that will have precise instructions as to how to wipe out my HD and partition--or at least set up 1 big HD without any particular partition. I realize this is a drastic, work-intensive step, and that I will have to reinstall all programs but an XP Repair Install did not stop the many continually quirky behavior I have been getting. I wanted to try a more basic solution--see article "Windows XP Crashed? Here's Help" at http://www.digitalwebcast.com/2002/0..._boot_toot.htm but for that to work, my restore points have to go back before my problems started (Jan 20) and the restore points do not go back that far--currently only to Feb. 9 (and registry start-up files of that date will still be corrupt.)

With 98 and ME, I gathered you f-disked and then formatted: two separate little programs. I checked Microsoft's Disk Management page but it said nothing about wiping out a hard drive, only chattered about upgrading to a later O/S. Or did I miss something?

Anyway how, precisely, do I wipe out my HD and partition it?
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    well first off boot to your bios and change it to boot from cd...then bootup with the cd into the installation...you will get to a screen where you can choose the destination partition. there is an option to choose the partition then press the d to del the partition...then your drive will become unallocated space then choose to install xp on the unallocated space it will prompt you to format. choose format in ntfs and after that its just follow the prompts and watch the pretty screens. **NOTE**backup all your personal stuff and drivers to cd first. also any isp info you might need prior to wiping it out.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Dont forget your favourites/bookmarks as these are often overlooked!

Quote Originally Posted by phishhead
    well first off boot to your bios and change it to boot from cd...then bootup with the cd into the installation...you will get to a screen where you can choose the destination partition. there is an option to choose the partition then press the d to del the partition...then your drive will become unallocated space then choose to install xp on the unallocated space it will prompt you to format. choose format in ntfs and after that its just follow the prompts and watch the pretty screens. **NOTE**backup all your personal stuff and drivers to cd first. also any isp info you might need prior to wiping it out.
    =========

OK. Yesterday I did what the site www.michaelstevenstech.com called a Repair install. It turned out to be a waste of time. This is how it went...I will copy what screens said and what I did. And ask a question about the 2 options at the point where I want to be sure the #2. choice is the one I should make to wipe my HD clean. So here goes:

My bios is currently booting in this order: CDROM--floppy--HD.

Yesterday then, with my XP CD in the CDROM drive, I started the computer up. I got 2 choices from the bios:

1. Boot from Atapi CDROM
    2. Press any key to boot from CD.

I chose #2

It said: "Setup is inspecting your system." Then came a blue screen called "Windows Setup." Setup loaded oh, 15-20 files real fast and then announced it was starting Windows. A "Welcome to setup" screen gave me following choices.

1. To set up now, press ENTER.
    2. To Repair an XP installation using Recovery Console, press R.
    3. To quit without installing XP, press F3.

Well, I chose #1 so I hit ENTER.
    Next I was told to hit F8 to satisfy the EULA agreement. I did that.

Then my one Windows installation C:\Windows was found. It was hi lit already.

I was also given 2 options:

1. To repair selected installation, press R.
    2. To continue installing a fresh copy without repairing, press ESC.

K, Phishhead, at this point I, of course, chose #1.

Question 1:

Now to wipe my HD clean, I should choose #2? Do you know for a fact that that WILL wipe out or render totally unusable my HD?

Question #2

Now I just continue following instructions, the XP disk stays in the drive and after it tells me to do whatever re repartitioning or not, it will then start to reinstall XP or direct me to make the choice to reinstall Windows?

Question #3.

Once XP is installed, then I can boot normally and just go ahead and reload all my drivers and programs, etc?

These questions may seem obvious but I don't want to screw things up and have an inoperable computer and you won't be here looking over my shoulder. And I've have run into situations where I am simply unsure as to which choices I should make. I've spent too much already on them.
    I've created my own website...a collection of moving, sad and happy and humorous poems which I would like to share with others. They come from stories my dad used to tell me when I was a kid. If you could glance at my site and if you know of others who might enjoy it and perhaps tell them of it, I would be most appreciative. Thank you. The address is www.metrocast.net/~wumply/exper-1.html

Well, I follow what phishhead says. Repairing is just a waste of time. I like to have a nice clean reformatt and reinstall every now and then to really clear up disk clutter.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

If you want a complete file wipeout search for a HDD utility to erase files, approved by DOD standards. Delete the partition and re-format it to which ever file system.

Although maybe thats just for paranoid people.
    Live long and prosper!

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar

Off Topic

Just wanted to mention how good it is to see joshsiao and Coffee posting so often with useful information! Keep it up guys

Now, Wumply...

Question 1:

Now to wipe my HD clean, I should choose #2? Do you know for a fact that that WILL wipe out or render totally unusable my HD?

Yes, option 2 (press escape). You will be asked which partation you want to use (you can even delete the current partition and create a new one) and then which file system you wish to format the drive in (I recommend NTFS!). Your data on the drive will be 'wiped' but your hard drive will remain usable!

Question #2

Now I just continue following instructions, the XP disk stays in the drive and after it tells me to do whatever re repartitioning or not, it will then start to reinstall XP or direct me to make the choice to reinstall Windows?

Exactly, just follow the prompts! It will even automatically restart where necessary...the important thing to remeber is as the computer restarts, dont press any key to boot from the CD-ROM again, just let the XP Setup take over (i.e. let the PC boot normally).

Question #3.

Once XP is installed, then I can boot normally and just go ahead and reload all my drivers and programs, etc?

Yes. Most things will be installed automatically using the XP drivers which should be fine, but it's never a bad idea to go to the manufacturer's website of each component and download the latest drivers, after you install Service Pack 1 and run Windows Update that is!

These questions may seem obvious but I don't want to screw things up and have an inoperable computer and you won't be here looking over my shoulder. And I've have run into situations where I am simply unsure as to which choices I should make. I've spent too much already on them.

Is that your only PC?? If you can get to another PC, you can always ask us a question about your position in the setup. Else, dive in and go for it...you learn by doing...and making mistakes! In my experience XP installations almost always go smoothly so I'm confident you will be fine

Thanks or thanks again, everyone. After all the help, I'm feeling pretty confident I can do a clean install easily. As a perhaps-spinteresting bit to this thread, I may NOT need to wipe my HD out and start all over again. I was getting so much quirky behavior since Jan. 20, in spite of repair places, that I was about to go for broke. Last night I got a BSOD, when all I was doing was running disk defrag. The progress had only 1/4" to go when the BSOD appeared. Tfhe power switch would not shut the comp off; I had to hit RESET and then POWER to do that. I went to bed. This morning it booted easily with only one message--that CUUC22.DLL was not found and I've had no problems or quirks all day.

I wondering if this positive change is due to running disk defrag, to running disk cleanup and to reinstalling SP 1 and if it will last. What do you think? My previous XP Repair install helped not at all btw.

Now, what's the scoop on this CUUC22.DLL? Need I worry about it and where do I get it if I need to reinstall it?

The one thing that did not get corrected is my ICQ

Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Just wanted to mention how good it is to see joshsiao and Coffee posting so often with useful information! Keep it up guys
    Thanks SupaStar, I just really hang out in mostly either here in TZ or am updating my site.
    "Never seem more learnt then the people you are with. Wear your learning like a watch and keep it hidden. Do not pull it out to count the hours, but give the time when you are asked."
    ~Chesterfield

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Dont forget your favourites/bookmarks as these are often overlooked!
    Also, dont forget to backup any OUTLOOK stuff ie emails and contacts etc. Its best to export them as backup.pst, then burn or another computer, I always forget about my emails... lucky they were only the jokes that go around here

These guys have pointed you in the right direction, and installs will only get easier. Just remember to install the RPC patches before you get online, even to windowsupdate. I recommend getting a friend to download them and put on CD for u, they could prolly download SP1a full install as well and some drivers etc and put them all on to CD. That way you can easily install the patches without getting online.

If you need a list of patches that you should install before getting online, let me know, I actually have them on my USB keyring, for when I visit ppl just in case they dont have them installed. Very important.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hey Joshiao, I haven't seen that magic spell guy in so long.........and he's still cute!

Sharon