Thread: Additional Hard Drives Aren't Recognized

Additional Hard Drives Aren't Recognized

Gentleman..........

I finally upgraded to XP. I love the speed and don't miss the lockups, as long as it looks as much like 98 as I can get it, I'm happy. I just can't stand all that blue!!!!!!!!!!

......but there seems to be a problem.

My 2nd 40gig hard drive does not show in Control Panel

It shows in device manager only.

Any ideas as to how I fix this? No wires/cables/jumpers/settings were changed from the format of 98 to XP. All upates to XP applied.

TIA,

Sharon

What's suppose to be showing i control pannel ¿
    Live long and prosper!

My 2nd 40gig hard drive does not show in Control Panel (should be D drive)

I went through troubleshooting and its no help. As I mentioned, the drive shows in the device manager, but does not show in Control panel or explorer for me to use it.

Any ideas?

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    The boot drive jumper needs to be set to Master,and the second drive to Slave.

Is the 2nd HDD just for storage or does it hold an operating system?

If it is just for storage you need to format it first so that it is writeable and then XP should recognize it .

Go to Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Computer Mangement > Disk Management.Does the HDD show up? If you can see the drive,right click and select format.(i'm presuming you don't have any important data on it).

BTW you say the 2nd HDD should be D. Don't you mean E. Your CD should be D.

Also you say it doesn't appear in the Control Panel,but i think you mean My Computer.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    BTW you say the 2nd HDD should be D. Don't you mean E. Your CD should be D.
    I thought all your Local Drives are listed first, followed by all your Optical Drives. That's how is is on my standard XP installation.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    I thought all your Local Drives are listed first, followed by all your Optical Drives. That's how is is on my standard XP installation.
    If you install a second HDD after XP is installed it sometimes gets assigned a letter following on from the CD drives.

As with my machine.

C = 200GB Maxtor
    D = DVD Rom
    E = Lite-On 52X Burner
    F = 80GB Maxtor

Agreed, that is exactly how it happens, however to me Sharon's post implied her 2nd HDD existed before her upgrade to XP!

Anyway, the problem is not solved so follow Rev's advice

Sharon, right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.

Click the Disk Managment folder (under the Storage heading) all your detected drives should be listed in the lower right-hand-side of the window.

Your Local Disk will be in the upper right-hand-side. From here you should be able to right-click the individual drive and format or partition it. REMEMBER that formating or partitioning will cause you to lose ALL the data on that drive!!
    Last edited by SupaStar; March 9th, 2004 at 22:29 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by SupaStar
    Sharon, right-click on My Computer and choose Manage.

Click the Disk Managment folder (under the Storage heading) all your detected drives should be listed in the lower right-hand-side of the window.

Your Local Disk will be in the upper right-hand-side. From here you should be able to right-click the individual drive and format or partition it. REMEMBER that formating or partitioning will cause you to lose ALL the data on that drive!!
    Go to Control Panel > Adminstrative Tools > Computer Mangement > Disk Management.Does the HDD show up? If you can see the drive,right click and select format.(i'm presuming you don't have any important data on it).
    OK,so your navigation to Disk Management is quicker than mine.

I think what Reverend & Super Star are trying to tell you is... The HDD needs to have a partition of a particular formatted file system, either FAT16, FAT32 or NTFS. Usually XP would prefer an NTFS partition for security & lower disk space useage. If there was a partition with any data on and it's not showing up as any of the recognised file systems then it's probably damaged. Things you could do are to check the MBR (Master Boot Record) for any errors, make sure all jumpers are in place & cables are in order, or even if the device is enabled or not. Other than that, not a lot. If there was any data, then once you've formatted it, use some recovery software to retreive the data, although some may get lost.
    Live long and prosper!

You'r right Rev, I did mean My Computer! I have a 6 month old....cute as a button as you can see, but I'm exhausted at the end of the day and be prepared for any incoherent mutterings in my posts!

At any rate, you and SupaStar were right on! I found it there, it was listed as drive 1 and 'twas formatted this evening and shows nicely in MY COMPUTER! This drive was emptied and all info moved to another computer on the network, I knew about the NTFS from Fat32 thing, just couldn't put it together Once again, you've saved the day!

Thanks!
    Sharon

OK,so your navigation to Disk Management is quicker than mine.
    Haha...I actually posted that before I had read your post in full so I had to edit to include 'follow Rev's advice' LoL

Good work Sharon!