Thread: Port Reporter 1.0, from Microsoft

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Thumbs up Port Reporter 1.0, from Microsoft

Port Reporter logs TCP and UDP port activity on a local Windows system. Port Reporter is a small application that runs as a service on Windows 2000, Windows XP, and Windows Server 2003.

On Windows XP and Windows Server 2003 this service is able to log which ports are used, which process is using the port, if the process is a service, which modules the process has loaded and which user account is running the process.

On Windows 2000 systems, this service is limited to logging which ports are used and when. In both cases the information that the service provides can be helpful for security purposes, troubleshooting scenarios, and profiling systems’ port usage.

Download

Instructions
    Last edited by Big Booger; March 17th, 2004 at 02:44 AM.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    LOL, i installed it and started the service, but now what? is there any docs on its functionallity? I guess i should have done that first

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Titanium Member
    It installing into program files and I click the exe and all I see is a cmd window flash for a second then nothing.... Once working how does this compare to Active ports - are you able to terminate processes from the gui?
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 17th, 2004 at 02:07 AM.

Instructions
    Downloading PortReptr.exe
    ====================

1. Click the Download link to start the download.
    2. Do one of the following:
    * To start the installation immediately, click Open or Run this program from its current location
    * .To copy the download to your computer for installation at a later time, click Save or Save this program to disk.

Basic Installation of Port Reporter
    =====================

Pr-setup.exe is a small single purpose command line installer program. It installs and/or uninstalls the Port Reporter service.

Note: You should be logged onto the system as a local administrator and close all applications, including the system's event logs and the services applet (from the control panel) when installing Port Reporter.

Run pr-setup.exe. Pr-setup will try to find the drive and directory where the Program Files directory is located. You will be prompted to install Port Reporter in the Program Files directory. If you choose "yes" to the prompt, it will create a sub-directory under the Program Files directory called PortReporter.

Portreporter.exe will be copied into this directory and registered as a service in the Service Control Manager. Pr-setup will also add registry entries necessary for the Port Reporter service to log entries in the system's Application event log.

Titanium Member
    I did all that and it installed into program files but nothing happens when I click the exe - well, it flashes the cmd window

*edit - I went to services and manually started the service and still nothingl

*edit again - ok now I get a blank cmd window with flashing cursor that lasts 10 or so seconds now

well I didn't do this though -
    Note: close all applications, including the system's event logs and the services applet (from the control panel) when installing Port Reporter.
    Last edited by lynchknot; March 17th, 2004 at 03:20 AM.

After you have it installed, you have run the port reporter service, then just go here:

C:\WINDOWS\system32\LogFiles\PortReporter

C= the drive where you installed your version of windows

Titanium Member
    I see, it's a log.

yes sir that way if you want to print it, just hit control P in notepad.

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    so basically it just logs the output of netstat -an, so you can print it from notepad?? eh, another useless tool i guess.

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

yep. But a free tool nonetheless.