Thread: IIS Admin

IIS Admin

Please help
    I am runnning SBS 2000 on a dell server, raid 5 1gb ram, problem is this.. Every now and again, could be 10mins or 5 hours my IIADMIN service stops, which in turn stops all the other mail services, NNTP, SMTP, IMAP, POP3, MS Routing. I have uninstalled IIS and reinstalled and then reinstalled exchange, as suggested by micrsoft, I have checked for worms and done a full virus check, but still nothing. anybody please!!undefined

Server God Administrator Richard's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jamesc
    Please help
    I am runnning SBS 2000 on a dell server, raid 5 1gb ram, problem is this.. Every now and again, could be 10mins or 5 hours my IIADMIN service stops, which in turn stops all the other mail services, NNTP, SMTP, IMAP, POP3, MS Routing. I have uninstalled IIS and reinstalled and then reinstalled exchange, as suggested by micrsoft, I have checked for worms and done a full virus check, but still nothing. anybody please!!undefined
    Does the event viewer show anything?

I know you said you check for viruses and worms, but have you installed the MSBlaster patch

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Have you installed the SBS 2000 SP1a

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

Event viewer
    Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7031
    Date: 18/03/2004
    Time: 06:20:49
    User: N/A
    Computer: LONSERVER
    Description:
    The IIS Admin Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 1 milliseconds: Run the configured recovery program.

then Event Type: Error
    Event Source: Service Control Manager
    Event Category: None
    Event ID: 7031
    Date: 18/03/2004
    Time: 06:20:49
    User: N/A
    Computer: LONSERVER
    Description:
    The World Wide Web Publishing Service service terminated unexpectedly. It has done this 19 time(s). The following corrective action will be taken in 0 milliseconds: No action.

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

then it shows much the same message for the following services in the order below
    IMAP
    NNTP
    POP3
    Routing engine
    SMTP

these services then all then restart, but sometimes the IMAP and POP3 service will not restart

For more information, see Help and Support Center at http://go.microsoft.com/fwlink/events.asp.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard
    Does the event viewer show anything?

I know you said you check for viruses and worms, but have you installed the MSBlaster patch

Non sbs service pack only the most upto date windows 2000 and exchange service packs

Quote Originally Posted by Reverend
    Have you installed the SBS 2000 SP1a

Security Intelligence TZ Veteran cash_site's Avatar
    The service pack is a good idea, as it includes loads of fixes. Also you might look into Upgrading to SBS 2003, very stable and loads more features.

You also need patches for IIS, especially LockDown etc

--- 0wN3D by 3gG ---

Hi JamesC

Did you ever get this problem fixed? I am experiencing the same symptons, and was going to reinstall IIS and Exchange, but after you said this didn't fix the problem i am quite apprehensive.
    When you uninstalled and reinstalled IIS, did you check to make sure the metabase.bin file was removed?

Looking forward to hearing back from you
    furble