Thread: Task Manger not responding

Cool Task Manger not responding

For a couple of weeks now my task manager has stopped responding when holding down the ctr alt del key, only seems to happen when I've been online for a while and downloading. The task manager icon loads onto the system tray but thats all that happens, you cant even right click it to close it. I have to restart the computer to get it to bring up the end programme now box.
    Any thoughts on how to solve this would be great

You have a virus.

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    Yep if its doing that when you go online then something is keeping taskman from coming up so you can't see the program or end it.

Scan your PC for virus/trojans/worms/spyware, if it still does it then reboot your PC and start taskman then go online with taskman open and check what programs are running.

Okay I have scanned the system and found nothing out of the ordinary , just the usual tracking cookies. I use a programme called aida32, which some of you have probably heard of, I can check the running processes through that when the taskmanager has stopped responding and there is nothing there that shouldn't be. It looks like sometimes it can be trying to launch another programme or trying to open a folder which causes a not responding also. Yet other programmes will still load no problem, and still only seems to happen once online for a long time and downloading big files.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    if the AV came out clean try to do a SFC from the run box. type SFC /scannow. if it asks for the cd to replace any files make sure to run sp1 again. Anytime it asks for the xp cd its changing a system file and its a good idea to rerun sp1.

Okay it has happened without being online now. So I am going to try the sfc/ scannow
    option. I do have a copy of the sp1 pack on a cd so when it asks for that and replaces a file I shouldn't have to reinstall sp1, does that sound right? Also have updated with a couple of hotfixes so will I need to reinstall those also?
    Thanx

Hardware guy Super Moderator FastGame's Avatar
    I've never used sfc/ scannow, I think it replaces windows files off the XP CD so you'll need to re-do SP1 and your up dates if it does. ?

What virus scanner did you use ? This worm will shutdown task manager.

sfc/ scannow, XP repair or worm remover should fix you up unless its a hardware (memory) problem.

I'm 99.9% sure its not a virus causing the problem, anyway I've done a windows repair as the sfc option just kept asking for sp1 cd even after putting the original windowsxp cd in, I checked the path in the reg which was pointing to the cd I installed sp1 off but that didn't work either and for some reason when I installed the sp1 it didn't cach the files. Anyway I'll see if it happens again now that I've done a repair.

Thanks for everyones help

Okay I've done a windows repair and I still have the problem, any other thoughts?