Thread: Dark Tip: 3-D Stuff for Linux

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar

Dark Tip: 3-D Stuff for Linux

One day back in the early 1490s, Christopher Columbus came up with the crazy idea of sailing West to the East Indies to prove the world is round. Citizens of the Old World scoffed. "Siete pazzeschi!" exclaimed his best friend, Giuseppe. "Você morrerá!" cried his contemporary, Vasco. But Columbus managed to charm Queen Isabella of Spain, and she backed his wacky idea. The rest is history.

Fast-forward to 2004. A couple of weeks ago, Dark Tipper Kevin Rose stormed into "The Screen Savers" production meeting. "I've discovered a 3-D desktop for Linux. Say goodbye to 2-D!" he proclaimed, "and I found this really cool 3-D Linux screen saver, too!"

No one scoffed. No one called him crazy. Someone may have giggled, but there was definitely a pause in the room as Kevin stood there, wide-eyed and excited. "That's nice," said Kevin's boss, Ken. "Put it in the calendar."

So Kevin put it in the calendar and your Linux desktop will never be the same. On tonight's 'Savers, history will be made as you set sail to your 2-D desktop and say hello to 3-D.

3D-Desktop

3D-Desktop is an OpenGL program written by Brad Wasson. If you have multiple virtual desktops, 3D-Desktop performs the desktop switching graphically in a three-dimensional space. (If you own Mac OS X Panther, 3D-Dekstop performs a function similar to Panther's fast user switching.)

Can't figure out what we mean? That's OK, it's one of those things you have to see to understand. You can watch an animated gif to get a better idea of how 3D-Desktop works.
    ------------------------------------------------

View the link below to get the software and details:
    http://www.techtv.com/screensavers/d...662252,00.html

BB, Did you try this?
    Linux Mint Debian Edition

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Looks good boogs. Post results if you try it.

Those wanting to see the animated gif can do so here: http://desk3d.sourceforge.net/images/seq1.gif

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    I haven't tried this yet because the PC that i have linux installed on, well I just don't think it would work well on that machine.

But it does look very cool and is a new way to approach the multiple 3D desktop world in Linux.