Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2003

Titanium Member

which is better?

enterprise um...I forgot the other ones.

Hardware Guru TZ Veteran shadow_warez's Avatar
    depends what your using it for Enterprise is for a large company or collages, stabdard is for office/homeuse, and web server is good for hosting your website on your own server,

A Great Sig Done by a Great Artist,

Titanium Member
    Well somehow the other PC is messed up. It's asking for a password that I never gave it. It won't even go into windows or safe mode. So I thought I would consider windows 2003. I assumed XP pro is for office but a little better than home so is enterprise better than home. I think there are 4 different selections.

what would happen if I stopped installlation of enterprise now? - Just reboot from disk again and choose home this time?

well it would prob restart setup then delte what you already installed, well with win2k3 thiers 5 versions,

1,standard.
    2.web server.
    3.Enterprise.
    4.data center
    5.small Business Edtion

Titanium Member
    Yeah ok which one is best? or should I just put xp pro back in? I also have NT

well the 2k3 isnt really meant for much other then serving, or it could be optimized as a workstation, but it dont have much D3D support, what will it be used for?

Titanium Member
    It will be used for nothing - lol. It's my sister's and she just left it over here. When she comes here she uses it for email and some browsing. I just wanting to experiment with something different - she'll never notice the difference. But if you say it's not really any good, i'll just stop it and install xp then. it's waiting for me to make a language decision.

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar
    XP Pro would probably be the best choice. Server 2003 in any edition is really best used in a server role, but as all have pointed out it can be used in a workstation role. It just isn't optimized for 3d gaming, and has lots of other features that are overkill for most workstation or desktop uses.

Titanium Member
    Ok back to xp.......hmmm. how about longhorn?

To make life easy install XP Pro. If you want to play around just keep in mind as the others have said that anything that is designed for server use will not do what you expect for Desktop use.

If you have XP Pro on all your machines then you can net work them together and be able to run each computer from one machine. There is some really neat things you can do with Pro to Pro.

After you get board with Pro to Pro then try using a server OS..

IMHO.....

Titanium Member
    I installed pro but the screen resolution is too small so there are nothing but lines going across. I used to work but I can't make a resolution choice without being able to see what i'm doing. The music stopped - what should I do?

Boot up in safe mode and try to install your video drivers. And don't forget, if you want to run Server on this box you can also install VM Ware or Virtual PC and install the OS in there. They run pretty well in that environment as long as you have plenty of memory.

Titanium Member
    Video drivers? I don't have it on disk. For that PC I just let windows update do it. but I can't this time

What video card is it?

What video card do you have?

You beet me to it rik..........