Thread: Paul Thurrott's take on SP2

Old and Cranky Super Moderator rik's Avatar

Paul Thurrott's take on SP2

Article found here.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 with Advanced Security Technologies Review
    Note: Windows XP Service Pack 2 hasn't shipped yet, so I'll be updating this review with new screenshots and information in the days ahead.

Last summer, Microsoft was prepping a dramatically different Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) release than the one we're soon going to get. Back then, the plan was to deliver a simple set of critical security patches and hot-fixes in a convenient single install, combined with all of the updates and fixes the company had shipped a year earlier in XP Service Pack 1 (SP1). Then the Slammer worm hit and everything changed. Microsoft corporate vice president Jim Allchin, who knew the company was prepping a sweeping set of security improvements for inclusion in Longhorn, the next major release of Windows, also knew that Longhorn was years away and would arrive far too late to stop future Slammer-type attacks. Finally, Allchin decided enough was enough. He ground Longhorn development to a virtual standstill and told the Windows development team it had a new priority: Deliver a reenergized Windows XP SP2 that would include many of the security enhancements Microsoft had planned for Longhorn. And get it done as soon as possible.

Article is continued at the above link. Too much info to post here.

Friendly Neighborhood Super Moderator phishhead's Avatar
    nice read rik.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    I heard that SP2 rendered TGT Soft's Style XP useless.Anyone else hear this?
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Thanks rik. Article went well with the morning coffee.

zipp, I heard this too however initial reports indicate that StyleXP will be compatible with XPSP2.
    March 2004
    StyleXP 2.02 New Release Out
    Now Supports SP2 RC1 (2096)
    Last edited by SupaStar; April 27th, 2004 at 22:44 PM.

I notice post deletion here? O_O
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)

all bets are off... TZ Veteran SupaStar's Avatar
    Was it your post? Probably caused by some DB errors TZ was having....nothing personal I wouldn't think

Oh I see, sorry. :P Thanks by the way.
    "Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."
    - Albert Einstein (1879-1955)