Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying Windows XP

Buying Windows XP

I have a dilemma. I'm running Win2K and really it's about time I upgraded; the dilemma is that I really want to be fully legal and buy my OS, but I have 2 PCs and buying even one copy is a real stretch to my resources.

A few questions:
    1)Lots of people sell OEM copies with some random piece of hardware. Is this actually legal or a myth used to sell licenses which aren't actually valid for the person buying them?

2)Older versions are happy to be installed on several PCs. Is this possible with XPSP2, or would Windows Update break now they use the "genuine windows" detector?

3)Is there some cheap way to get 2 licenses cheaper than buying two copies (upgrades would do and XP Home is sufficient)

4)Although we have older versions of Windows and are eligible for ugrade versions, I'd rather install and completely wipe the drives -can upgrade versions do this?

The Beast Master TZ Veteran PIPER's Avatar
    Should.....if you wipe the drive, then start a fresh install with the upgrade it will ask you at some point during the installation to insert your other OS cd for verification, then continue on with the rest of the install.

Super Moderator Super Moderator Big Booger's Avatar
    If you have a 64bit processor:
    http://www.productquest.net/windows-...bit--nfr-.html

That's a damn good price on a full version.

And if it's a 32 bit:
    http://www.productquest.net/windows-...-key-code.html

Those are both Pro versions and are student editions. (I don't know if you are a student but perhaps you were at some point or will be in the future... ex: Do you do bible study? LOL)

Head Honcho Administrator Reverend's Avatar
    Another option is to skip XP and wait for Vista.

=========== Please Read The Forum Rules ===========

I just purchased and installed xp home OEM. The OEM will not allow an upgrade installation. You have to accomplish a fresh install. If you have to retain information on the drive, make good backups or pay for the full retail copy.

Near Life Experienced TZ Veteran zipp51's Avatar
    For about $80 you can buy oem XP Home.Since you are going to wipe the drive,an oem works just fine.It will pass WGA and update just like an upgrade or full version.For older computers,waiting for Vista may be futile if the hardware doesn't meet the requirements.
    The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results.

So there is no way to get 2 PCs running XP cheaply, so that both can use Windows Update?

As for the academic versions I was under the impression you had to prove you are a student (or a teacher I think). And in fact I DO study the bible but I'm not sure what you meant - that I should perhaps pray for 2 free copies of WinXP

FREE, FREE, FREE if you do the following....

This promotion is conducted exclusively by EveryFreeGift.com and is subject to participation terms and conditions. Receipt of your item requires compliance with offer terms, including: age and residency requirements; registration with valid e-mail address, shipping address and phone number; completion of user survey and sponsor offers. Upon completion of all requirements, we will ship your incentive gift to your verified shipping address. Fulfillment may be delayed based on availability.

Trademarks, service marks, logos, and/or domain names (including, without limitation, the individual names of products and companies) are the property of their respective owners, who have no association with and do not make any endorsement of the products or services provided by EveryFreeGift.com.

http://everyfreegift.com/pd?catid=55&promoid=100570

Silver Member
    Has anyone taken advantage of the above offer ? Do you wind up with thousands of e-mails selling everything under the sun ?

http://www.deals2buy.com/show/52806252/deals.htm

Hell of a deal there... price cannot be beat *without stealing*.

Well the $20 instant off works. In 60 to 90 days we will see if the $70 works.

Thanks BB

Quote Originally Posted by Tinker View Post
    Well the $20 instant off works. In 60 to 90 days we will see if the $70 works.

Thanks BB
    Please Tinker let us know. All the reports I read say it is legitimate.

Are you a student? If so you may want to think about purchasing it under that program.

Quote Originally Posted by d000hg View Post
    So there is no way to get 2 PCs running XP cheaply, so that both can use Windows Update?

As for the academic versions I was under the impression you had to prove you are a student (or a teacher I think). And in fact I DO study the bible but I'm not sure what you meant - that I should perhaps pray for 2 free copies of WinXP
    I think he meant there are like some really free or inexpensive bible study programs that qualify you as a student. I don't think that you have to prove anything, at least years ago you didn't. My first copy of windows came because I work for a pd, but in the capacity of a dispatcher/securtiy officer, not a police officer. They offered a discount for such.
    Knowledge indeed is power;
    Wisdom is knowing whether or not to act on Knowledge.

Speech is
    silver,but silence is golden.....
    Blondie